GHETTO DEGLI EBREI

To play, press and hold the enter key. To stop, release the enter key.

press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom

La storia

Notizie certe di presenza ebraica a Manduria (un tempo chiamata Casalnovo) iniziano nei sec. XII-XV. Dal 1648 si parla del “Ghetto degli Ebrei” istituito dal sindaco Filippo Bianchetti. Il quartiere, di fronte alla chiesa madre, era delimitato da tre porte che venivano chiuse la sera, in linea con i provvedimenti del Concilio di Trento.
Oggi la zona ha mantenuto il toponimo originario. Si sviluppa intorno a vico Stretto, vico Lacaita e vico degli Ebrei; vi si accede da tre ingressi contrassegnati da archi, uno dei quali riporta la data 1602. L’area, rettangolare, è caratterizzata da un intrico di vicoli con portoni di accesso alle singole abitazioni direttamente dalla strada. In una di queste viene indicata la sinagoga, della quale non esiste però documentazione certa. La stanza è costituita da un piccolo vano rettangolare con soffitto a botte. Vi si accede direttamente dalla strada da una porta che taglia un arco decorato tutto intorno da rosette e, in alto, da un mascherone antropomorfo. Poco distante viene indicata la Casa del Rabbino. Questa si affaccia in un cortile interno al quale si accede da un arco a tutto sesto. La casa, che risale ai secoli XVI-XVII, presenta un ballatoio in pietra ornato con decorazione a traforo e motivi vegetali.

Sinagoga: vico degli ebrei 8 – Manduria (TA)
https://ex-sinagoga-di-manduria.business.site/

Certain news of Jewish presence in Manduria (once called Casalnovo) begins in the sec. XII-XV. Since 1648 there has been talk of the "Jewish Ghetto" established by the mayor Filippo Bianchetti. The district, in front of the mother church, was delimited by three doors which were closed in the evening, in line with the provisions of the Council of Trent.
Today the area has kept the original toponym. It develops around vico Stretto, vico Lacaita and vico degli Eesio; It is accessed by three entrances marked by arches, one of which bears the date 1602. The rectangular area is characterized by a tangle of alleys with access doors to individual houses directly from the street. In one of these the synagogue is indicated, of which however there is no certain documentation. The room consists of a small rectangular room with a barrel ceiling. It is accessed directly from the street by a door that cuts an arch decorated all around with rosettes and, at the top, by an anthropomorphic mask. Not far away is the House of the Rabbi. This overlooks an internal courtyard which is accessed by a round arch. The house, which dates back to the 16th-17th centuries, has a stone balcony decorated with fretwork decoration and plant motifs.

Synagogue: alley of the Jews 8 - Manduria (TA)
https://ex-sinagoga-di-manduria.business.site/